|In vitro Chemical Methods to determine the antioxidant activity of products and ingredients. |
• ORAC – Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity Method.
• TRAP – Total Radical – Trapping Anti-oxidant Parameter Method.
• TEAC – Trolox Equivalent Antioxidant Capacity Method.
• DPPH – To measure the ability of antioxidant to reduce 2,2-diphenylpicrylhydrazy (DPPH).
• TOSC – Total Oxyradical Scavenging Capacity Method.
• PSC – Peroxyl Radical Scavenging Capacity Method.
• FRAP – Ferric Reducing Antioxidant Power Method.
• FCTP - Folin-Ciocalteau Total Phenolic Assay.
As you can see, a variety of in-vitro chemical methods are being used to determine the antioxidant activity of products and ingredients, but questions regarding whether the results have any bearing on effectiveness in the human body are leading to development of additional methods that may be more appropriate for screening potential anti-oxidant ingredients.